Page Tabs

Monday 22 September 2014

REVIEW: Neutrogena Visibly Clear Spot Stress Control Ultra-Light Spot Treatment Moisturiser (40 ml)



Name: Visibly Clear Spot Stress Control Ultra-Light Spot Treatment Moisturiser by Neutrogena.

QUICK REVIEW: Excellent, affordable and widely accessible BHA that isn't drying.  

In-depth review after the jump.


 
 Price: £4.99 at Boots. Purchased instore during a "2 for £5 on selected Neutrogena", so I effectively brought two bottles of these just an additional 1p. One bottle contains 40ml of product.

Ingredients List: Aqua, Cyclopentasiloxane, PEG-8, Dimethicone, Salicyclic Acid, Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Sodium Polyacrylate, Vinyl Dimethicone/ Methicone Silsesquoixane Crosspolymer, Panthenol, Cucumis Sativus Extract, Camellia Oleifera Extract, Sclerotium Gum, Butylene Glycol, c12-15 Alkyl Lactate, Cocamidopropyl PD-Dimonium Chloride Phosphate, Laureth-23, Trideceth-6, Cetyl Alcohol, Cetyl Lactate, Laureth-4, Glyceryl Stearate, PEG-75 Stearate, Sodium Chloride, PEG/PPG-18/18 Dimethicone, Ceteth-20, Steareth-20, Glycerin, Lactic Acid, Sodium Hydroxide, Disodium EDTA, Potassium Sorbate, Benzalkonium Chloride, Phenoxyethanol, Parfum, Cl 19140, Cl 42090.



Packaging: I like that the colour scheme follows from the box to the bottle itself. Squeezy tube, so I like that hygiene is taken into account. Unfortunately, you do get some wastage from the opening, as there isn't a stopper to prevent leakage. 


Product: I'm on to my fifth bottle, and for my skincare I use this daily on my face to exfoliate from the salicylic acid. It has a green tint that disappears when you apply it, so the green does not alter makeup or correct redness (it's probably more a colour to accompany the cucumber extracts). The gel is silicone based, and it dries down to a powdery finish. Be careful when layering with water-based products as it will cause issues ( I have had it pill with other water based moisturisers). There is a pleasant cucumbery smell to it, it's faint and goes away, but for those with sensitivities take care as it does contain parfum.


As a moisturiser: It doesn't really work. Ultra-light is an apt description- it's not drying even with salicylic acid (and there is no alcohol) but my skin doesn't really feel moisturised from it. At best it prevents my skin from being dehydrated if I skip moisturiser.

As an exfoliant: It's bloody fantastic. I apply it all over my face nightly (sometimes in the morning if I can spare half an hour) and it has a brightening effect after 3 weeks daily use. I apply it on freshly cleansed skin and leave it to dry for half an hour before layering with a moisturiser. It's one of the very few BHAs on the high street that is easily accessible and does not contain high levels of alcohol denat. It's also very affordable at less than £5, and as I find it works for me, I've been timing purchases to coincide with the Boots "2 for £5 on Neutrogena" promotions. You get 80ml worth of product for a fiver.

As a spot treatment: It does not do much for bumps and blackheads but when a spot is inflamed, red, or swollen I'd dab and apply a thick layer over the spot and some to leave overnight, and applying it twice a day helps a spot go from red to cystic to normal in 2-4 days if it doesn't burst. Compared to a month if I leave it untreated it works a treat. I also had much success with whiteheads. 

Verdict: Great spot treatment, great BHA exfoliant, easily accessible on the high street, cheap cheerful and effective. Not very hydrating. A definite permanent product for my skincare routine.

No comments:

Post a Comment